Sunday, December 19, 2010

Ashamed then but not anymore

In the year, 1997, my matriculation day, I was very reluctant to do a ceremonious matriculation like most students do. especially those students studying prestigious courses. I had requested that my family need not come to school to celebrate with me, afterall I was only studying biology education; a thing of shame, not worth rejoicing over. Nobody will anyway or so I thought.

I had been avoiding familiar faces, lest i will be asked what I was studying. I made effort to make myself invisible to all and couldn't wait till 200L to change my course/faculty. Just for the record, I had sneaked to the matriculation venue to take a picture with the matric gown and there I saw a guy that fascinated me.

He was jubilantly matriculating, taking pictures with friends and family. He had his shoulders high and was merry making. I stood there admiring him and thinking to myself that he must be studying Medicine or Engineering and I wished I could be as happy as he was or at least be studying a much better course.

I spent the night wishing I was that happy and contented guy and dragged myself to class the next morning to receive an education course. And what did I see, sitting not too far from me was the guy I had admired so much. He wasn't studying engineering or medicine, he was studying maths education.

The shock stayed with me for a long time. I had never imagined anyone could be so happy studying education but I also realized how ungrateful I was. That guy was grateful for the same thing I was mournful about and for the 4year duration, the guy rocked our faculty and I sulked.

Oh Lord, may I always be grateful for even what I don't like. 13years later, I write and I teach screenwriting for a living and I am not ashamed of it. In fact, I wouldn't have it any other way. Thank God for everything, it's only with hindsight that I can connect the dots.

1 comment:

Motivation Today said...

Passion moves you, courage rocks the world, love what you do and the world would come to your feet.